As the evenings are getting cooler, it’s the perfect time for a heart-thumping, sweat-dripping night game of CAPTURE THE FLAG. Glow stick-style.
Here’s how to play:
1. Gather a big group of friends who aren’t afraid of the dark and like to chase each other. Divide up into 2 teams.
2. Review how to play capture the flag. See instructions here: https://www.thegamegal.com/2010/10/28/capture-the-flag/
3. Get your glow-on. You will need 2 glow sticks of different colors – these will be the flags. Each player will need 2 glow bracelets, one for each wrist, the same colors as the flags. Half of your group will wear one color for their team. The other half will wear the second color.
4. Don’t activate your sticks til just before you are ready to play.
Here’s a few tips:
– players can’t hide their glow bracelets under any clothing.
– if a flag (glowstick) that has been stolen is dropped it must be returned to the original area
– agree on specific jail rules. For example, if a player touches the jail, everyone is freed and gets a free walk back but they have to go back to their side before they can try to steal the flag. The person freeing the prisoners can still get tagged at any point
– you can also play this rousing game indoors using a gym or basketball court. Select two corners of the room for jail and put the flags (glow sticks) there on either end. Activate your sticks and turn off the lights!
Evelyn @ My Turn for us says
I remember playing “after dark” games similar to this!! Love the idea of glow sticks!!
Katy Gibbs says
I miss playing night games! I think I’ll have to start teaching my oldest to play (even though he is only five!) I think he would die to play this!
I’m having a hunger games theme party with capture the flag and this a great idea. I was also thinking that when you get tagged, you lose a glow stick. So if you get tagged twice, then you’re out. So there is only one winner from each team.
It kind of goes along with the hunger games theme.
How fun! Love your Hunger Games twist!