About a month ago I got a text from the young women’s president asking if I could fill in for one of the presidency members in planning a combined activity. The conversation went something like this:
Me: I’d be happy to! What is the activity?
Her: Scripture Kickball
Me: Sweet. Could you send me directions so I can gather what we need?
Her: Oh, there aren’t really directions. The girls thought something like scripture kickball sounded fun, so you just need to figure out how to play it.
So of course the first place I went was pinterest. And I think scripture kickball is the only game not on there. Which meant I was left to my own devices (aka brain) to figure out a way to combine scriptures and kickball. So I’m here to share with you what we did. It ended up being a hit!
Here are some of the basics:
– you’ll need a kickball, something for bases, and for the youth to bring scriptures
– use the same rules as kickball and divide into 2 teams
– ask scripture questions before each player kicks from home base
– players are allowed to get help from their team members
– be sure to mix up the Bible questions and Book of Mormon questions
– there is a 1 minute time limit for answering the question (this is just to keep the game moving)
– 1 point for making it home
– 2 points for answering a question correctly without their team members help
– 1 point for answering a question correctly with their team members help
You’ll want to make sure the person coming up to home base to kick has some scriptures with them in case they need them. Also, even if they get the answer wrong they can still kick and run through the bases to score when they get back to home.
Pretty fun, right? If you really wanted to spice things up you could combine it with kiddie pool kickball!