I have pretty much no memories of high school graduation. Which is weird, right? But for the life of me, I can’t recall a single thing…
My most vivid memory of graduation from Utah State with my Bachelor’s degree is picking out the shoes I would wear. Why?-you ask. All of my girlfriends were shopping for or picking out outfits a couple of weeks before the big event. And don’t get me wrong. I totally support a healthy shopping trip.
But in a graduation gown, who sees your clothes? Yup-a big fat no one.
Buy zebra print high heels.
So that’s my advice for all of you lady graduates. Don’t fret about the outfit-wear cool shoes.
My advice for friends or neighbors of graduates? Well, that would have to be these grad cap goodie plates. They’re a festive and easy gift that you can make for one or for a dozen-depending on your local graduation needs.
So here’s how it goes.
1. Buy black poster board or card-stock.
2. Cut out the hat base by measuring out and cutting 10″ x 10″ squares.
3. Cut out the hat band by measuring out and cutting 2″ x 24″ rectangles.
4. Grab your glue gun, pull the hat band strip into a circle and glue along the 2″ side.
5. Hold together until cool and the circle feels stable.
6. Place the hat band in the middle of the base. Hot glue the band onto the base from the inside.
7. While you’re waiting for it to cool, print off this handy-dandy FREE PRINTABLE gift card. Mount it onto card-stock (maybe in one of their school colors!).
8. Once the glue has set, fill with treats!
If you’re looking for a more meaningful gift-like something for a son or daughter-check out this Graduation Book. It’s a family tradition of ours-and even though my book will be 10 years old later this month (how did that happen?!), it’s one of my most favorite things. I love going back and reading the advice of dear friends and family (like little brother’s advice that I not eat off my roommate’s plates…).
Happy graduating! Go get ’em class of 2014! And don’t forget the cool shoes.